Monday, August 18, 2008

Round 1 Down

I've been chastised by more than a few for not posting in a while so here I am. Round 1 went well. Just a small amount of nausea that is well controlled with medication. I even went back to work for a few hours today. My biggest problem right now is fatigue and I'm told that is supposed to get worse before it gets better. I go back to the doctor next Thursday and I assume they'll order bloodwork to determine when the next treatment will be. The treatments are only tentatively every 3 weeks depending on how well my immune system is holding up. I have also been told to get ready because if the hair is going to fall out it usually does so after round 2. The next poll may be to vote on hat styles!

I have also been told that I should be posting pictures to share. Although my swelling is going down I'm not too keen yet on sharing pictures of myself. However, Trent's soccer team is having it's first scrimmage during practice tomorrow so I'll make sure to bring my camera and get some good shots.

It's funny that now that what I think of as the worst is behind us, we know what it is and we know we can beat it, I find myself getting more emotional with the continuous outpouring of love and support from everyone. The treatment is by no means going to be pleasant, but I feel like I know what to expect and I can (and will!) live with everything that comes and I'm not really scared anymore. I also keep thinking about the saying that you really learn who your friends are when the s%#! hits the fan, but instead of the worst I have just been overwhelmed by the best of everyone it seems I've ever known. That's the part that gets me choked up on a regular basis and I guess I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm fighting this fight for me, but I'm also doing it for everyone who believes in me.

Thanks to everyone! I love you all!

Abbey

11 comments:

  1. Glad you are getting along so well, If you are tired go with it and it will help in the long run. When I try to get something extra done,it comes back to bite me. just go with the flow. If the hair starts to come out, I have some really cute hats that I will make for you.
    When I read what wrote in your last paragraph, You had me reduced to crying again. Hope thing will get easyer untill the next round

    Our prayers and Love Keep us up to date.

    Chuck and Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey,

    I just wanted to let you know that you have one more person praying for you back here on the east coast. I'm so glad to hear that everything is going as well as it can under the circumstances. I'll keep everyone at Westat posted!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chica,
    Of course you are surrounded by love and support...you are a wonderful person and you get to reap what you sow!
    On a lighter note, I can't believe you haven't mentioned wigs instead of hats...I have the coolest purple wig that would look awesome on you. Think of how much fun you could have! I've got the purple bob and the "Marilyn" that I could share ;) We could have a lot of fun with this one.

    Luv,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Abbey,
    It was great chatting with you last night. Your positive attitude and courage are remarkable and inspiring. We will speak with you soon. Take care and rest when you can!

    Rachel and Jason

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl...you makin me cry!

    Hang in there Lady - I love you,,,!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alright, as a caretaker here, I must remind all of the crying folks to drink plenty of fluids to keep themselves hydrated.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbey (& Bill),

    Thanks for the postings. Martin & I are glad you're doing well in spirit & strength especially with all support you have from all your friends & family. When your hair starts to fall out, just remember it'll grow back and maybe even better. As for fatigue, as others have posted, just go with it, but don't tire yourself out too much. As for Bill, as a previous caretaker myself, take care of yourself too. Just out of curiosity have your taste buds changed? For some people, chemo changes that. We're thinking of you & please let Katie know we sent a check donation to the Lymphoma Foundation. I was relunctant to donate online, so sent check instead.

    Tina & Martin

    ReplyDelete
  8. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

    OK, enough of that. Bill, be prepared to shave your
    head in solidarity (now that's a photo I want to see). Abs, here's a hat website for you.
    http://www.samuelshats.com/index.html
    If you're going to go bald, do it in style!
    Love,
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Abbey,

    I'm sure Ken could rustle up some cool wigs for you!! Seriously, I am glad you are doing well, and I hope it continues. I have complete faith that you will beat this!

    Love,

    Helen and Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Abbey --

    I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. Keep up the positive attitude!
    Go for the wigs! If you have to go bald, you might as well have some fun with it. Bill -- I have to second Calvin's idea -- you should also go bald in support!

    Sending you both long-distance hugs,
    with love,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just surfed on and want to wish you well with your treatments Abbey. My sister Abbe is undergoing Chemo now too for breast cancer. Too many of my friends and family have been in your shoes. You'll do fine and you'll continually amaze others.

    Namaste, Kate

    ReplyDelete