Friday, August 15, 2008

Hospital Time

I have determined that hospital time is something entirely different from normal time, mainly a whole lot slower. After arriving around 4:30 yesterday I hung out in the accelerated access unit for several hours, even went for my abdominal CT from there. I was finally transferred to the oncology unit between 8 and 9. Overnight wasn't too bad if you don't count the fire drill at 1am and the lab lady waking me up with the blinding light at 5am for a blood draw. I was originally scheduled to go to Interventional Radiology first thing this morning to have the portacath placed so I was told no food or drink after 4am. However the radiologists decided against the procedure because of all the swelling so that never happened. The worst part was that the decision wasn't communicated until about 10am at which time I was starving and caffeine-deprived cranky. My fabulous nurse brought me a mini breakfast and even went down to the coffee shop in the lobby and bought me a latte. Dr. Shek, the oncology fellow came in to do the bone marrow biopsy around that time. Definitely not a procedure I want to do again any time soon, but apparently I have very strong bones! So now we're going to do the first chemo cycle through the peripheral IVs which should dramatically reduce the size of the tumor (maybe 50%) which in turn should relieve a lot of the swelling. If I tolerate the chemo peripherally then we may just continue that for future cycles or we may go in and do the portacath in a couple weeks. I'm still waiting for the chemo cocktail to show up and the nurse says it will take "a few hours" to infuse then they will be monitoring blood and vitals closely for a while so I don't expect to go home until Saturday afternoon at the earliest. My work teammates stopped by earlier and did a very good job entertaining me and my nurse while she tried to start a second IV. They even helped a bit and it was good to laugh. Bill is here now and he will be bringing Trent by for a visit after school which will be nice. Then I've got some good movies to watch tonight (21, Smart People, The Good Shepherd).

Time to get cleaned up before they start the cocktail. I'll write more later.

Abbey

5 comments:

  1. Hey, can you get visitors? We're headed over the hill tomorrow and want to stop and say Hi if it's allowed...let us know! 775-722-0304

    Glad to hear that your news Wednesday was good - from all that you're describing I'd hate to think what you'd be going through if it was a nastier variety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok a pic line not bad, at least showering is easier when it's in the arm. You just keep one arm in the air for showers. If done this twice for infections before my knee was replaced the second time. If they leave it in, have an extension put on and you can flush it yourself. Have finished my rough draft on the letter to send out for the lymphomathon wamt to send it out the beginning of the week.
    Chuck and I have our items from Choosehope, they have lots of items to choose from.
    We think of you all the time and wish we could do more. Give Trent a big kiss from us, sounds like he has become a good helper.
    Keep up the "fight the fight" you will win this fight.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey girlie! Just stoppin in to check on you! I was so happy when mom told me that it seems to be the better kind. Also was very happy to hear that you are getting the Chemo started...the sooner it is started the sooner it is kicked. :-)

    You know...I also want to thank any of your friends that are reading this & helping out w/ Trent & everything...I know non of us are in the area so it is good to know that you have GREAT friends there to help you!

    LOVE YOU GUYS!!!! Hugs to all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go for some sort of implanted line - if they start an IV for every infusion you could run out of veins very quickly :( (and even faster if the IV starter has poor IV-starting skills)

    I said Jen should ask you what the ultimate question is... :-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I have a real question...what do you like to read?

    PS - Did you get Breaking Dawn yet?

    ReplyDelete