Saturday, August 23, 2008

Now I know why cancer sucks!

Hi everyone!

Having survived what I hope is the worst of each chemo cycle I can definitely see where the phrase "cancer sucks" came from. I thought I was doing well with just a minor bout of nausea on the first day, but the worst was yet to come. The beginning of the week was fine. I worked half days on Monday and Tuesday and then Wednesday I felt great and worked the whole day. The problem was Thursday when I woke up feeling crummy and it went downhill from there. For some crazy reason I went into work, but only lasted a couple hours and turned around for home. I even called my nurse at the Cancer Center to make sure what I was feeling was normal. She said absolutely and just reminded me to keep an eye on my temperature (an infection would be pretty serious) and stay hydrated. I did just that and by Friday morning was already feeling better, but stayed home from work anyhow. It appears that I'm going to have to learn a new skill known as moderation. Even when I feel good I need to learn to take it a little easier than normal so save some strength. The really good news is that the tumor must be shrinking because all my swelling is almost entirely gone. That makes the yucky stuff a little easier to take.

Friday was Trent's last day at the Lighthouse, the daycare center he has attended since he was 9 months old! I brought the teachers breakfast from Panera to say thanks for 4 terrific years and there were many tears all around. Trent will be headed to the last week of the summer camp run by his new after-school program. We have kindergarten orientation on this coming Thursday evening and then school starts on the 2nd. He has a VERY loose bottom tooth that I'm hoping will come out soon. It will be his first and I just can't wait to post pictures of that toothless grin.

We're laying low this weekend. Don't have any plans since we were supposed to be in Connecticut. We are enjoying some new Wii games that we rented and generally trying to take it easy.

Hope everyone enjoys the last week of summer!

5 comments:

  1. Well Abbey I can tell you that learning to do things in moderation is something hard to get used to. I know when I walk the lympomathon, I'll be wiped out for a day or two. You have to learn to adjust your plan around what you want or have to do.
    Glad the swelling is going away and the tumor is shrinking. Just take it one day at a time. You will get through this and come out the winner.
    Love you Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better now than a few days ago. Hope that you were able to relax this weekend with Bill and Trent. Thanks for posting the photos of Trent - so cute!
    Love,
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abbey. Hope your moderation is going well. Just like anything else it`s a skill so take it easy and give yourself plenty of leeway! I`m so impressed and inspired by your positive attitude! We`re thinking of you and let us know if there is anything we can do for you. (Try Wario World for the Wii. It`s pretty fun!)
    Much love, Yuka

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey chica,
    Damiano and I are getting excited about our trip down to Sacramento this weekend. I'll try and help with the "moderation" while we're there in person ;) Of course, I think that means we'll be practicing together as neither of us is usually very good at that. I'm sure the pedicures on Sunday will count though!!!

    Luv,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Abbey!

    Happy to hear you're feeling better! Stick to Abbey-time for a while like at conclave...be delayed! If anyone gives you trouble, I'll karate chop them! Loved the pics of little man. They have a Wii Duck Hunt...FLASHBACK fun time! ;-)

    You're doing great!!! Keep it up!!! Best wishes from MD!!!

    Yours,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete