Sunday, November 30, 2008

Four Crazy Months

It is hard to believe that it was four months ago that I sat at the same desk, in front of the same computer sending out news of Abbey's diagnosis. Things were so frightening and uncertain then.

It's been a very wild ride. Tomorrow, Abbey is scheduled for her sixth and probably final round of chemotherapy. On Friday, she'll have a PET scan (positron-emission tomography) that should identify any areas of active cancer down to about 1/16th of an inch (that's 1.5 mm to you science geeks). It's a pretty cool process and if you're not familiar with it, I'd be happy to explain it over a beer or two: the physics is relatively simple, the engineering is hard.

The Lymphomathon was great! We had about 40 members of the A-Team participate in wonderful 90 degree weather. Abbey's folks from Connecticut were impressed with the weather in November in LA... until the fires struck. Our Team Captain, my sister Katie, lives in the burn zone of the Yorba Linda fire. Her condo and complex came through fine, but she now looks across the street at burned trees. The team tally, as of the day of the event was over $7000. We want to say "THANK YOU" to all that donated. If you haven't yet donated and are feeling bad about it, you can still donate by clicking on the link at the left of the blog's page.

Given that its Thanksgiving weekend - let me say how thankful we are to have such loving and caring friends and family. It has made this much easier than I think we could have ever expected.

Love,

Bill

2 comments:

  1. Don't know PET scans! You forget. My advisor was a nuclear chemist; I be knowin' positron-emission tomagraphy! But I'll have those beers anyway!
    I so glad that so much money was raised by the A-team and I did receive my shirt before the "A-thon". And I'm glad your sister's home was spared.
    If Abbey's up to it, I'll try to call later in the week.
    With love and hope,
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Abbey, Bill, and Trent:
    We are glad to read that things are progressing along well. You'll be cancer-free sooner than you know!
    Love,
    Gautam, June, and Daisy

    ReplyDelete