Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Need a laugh?

Since there's not much happening on the cancer front I thought I'd share with all of you what I did this weekend in case you are in need of a good laugh.

Many of you know that Trent signed up for the Running Club at his elementary school. The club meets for a hour twice an week after school to exercise, play games, and work on stamina and endurance. The club also set as goals to have the kids participate in a couple of local running events with activities geared toward children. The first was the "Veggie Chase" held this past Sunday. The focus of the event was to motivate families to get moving and learn about healthy eating and lifestyles. There was a 5K run/walk, a 1 mile run/walk, and a variety of kids races of varying lengths by age group.

I signed Bill up for the 5K (he'll thank me later) and thought that Trent would probably not be able to complete that distance with me (walk/running) so I signed us up for the 1 mile. All the while thinking we might jog a bit, but, remembering how he handled the Race for the Cure in the spring, figured we would mostly walk.

Well, we're at the starting line and Trent is super excited. I'm worried about the mass of people (think the running of the bulls) and wondering how many small children might get trampled at the start. At the sound of the word "Go" i start jogging with the mob and Trent takes off! Mind you he's much shorter than I and so has an easier time weaving in and out of the crowd. I figure as long as I can see him I'm okay.

He keeps getting further and further ahead and I'm starting to remember that I stopped exercising long before this cancer thing came up! I round the corner to where Bill and some other friends are waiting to cheer us on. They still seem to be in shock from seeing Trent go flying by without me. I toss them Trent's sweatshirt with a look of "I'm not really sure what's going on here!" and keep on going.

Shortly after that I dropped down to a walk, cheered for the 7 and 10 year old sons of our friends as they pass me on their way back from the turn-around and finally see Trent again as he has made the turn and is heading for home. I cut the corner a few yards short to head back with him and start jogging again to try and keep up.

Didn't work. I gave up not long after, made an effort to be running when I passed by Bill again and then again crossing the finish line, but there was no salvaging the fact that I had just been soundly whooped by a not-quite-5-year-old!

Hope you're having a good laugh at my expense! I head back in for my next treatment on Tuesday and then a CT scan a week later. Depending on just how good that scan looks, the doctors are strongly leaning toward stopping at 6 cycles of chemo. That means I could be completely done with treatment, including radiation, by the end of the year. Whoopeeeeeee!

6 comments:

  1. Incidentally, I finished the 5k in 34 minutes. This is three minutes faster than I did the previous weekend in a race the benefited our local lymphoma society. I don't think that I was beaten by any almost five year olds - but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trent will put all of us to the test with the 5K walk in a month. I am amazed I can even finish the 5K with practice. He may make us all look bad.

    Lots of love to the 3 of you,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on doing the 5k. I haven't run seriously since Bapst!

    Glad to hear the chemo is going well. Keep your head up!

    -Trond

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the 5K! This coming Sunday I am going to be watching ~3000 versions of Trent at my running club's annual Halloween Kids Run. LOL :-)
    Abbey -- Double congrats on your progression! Way to whoop this cancer!

    Long distance hugs to all,

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abbey. Glad to hear that your treatment is going well! Wow, Trent is quite the athlete, good for him! Sorry I have been delinquent in sending you a check for the t-shirt. I promise, it will be in the mail on Monday. Talk you soon.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. We finally got to your blog. We hope the treatments, though thoroughly yucky, are not unendurable. You are in our thoughts and prayers. (Thoughts from the agnostic, prayers from the Catholic).

    ReplyDelete